Taxi drivers assume the same risks that any motorist does when they turn the key and hit the road, and that includes the possibility that they will cause or be involved in a taxi accident. Often, passengers or other motorists suffer injuries when they are in a taxi that collides with another vehicle or is in a vehicle crashed into by a taxi driver.
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle or pedestrian collision involving a taxi, there may be additional legal considerations to consider when pursuing damages. Call our team at the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato today at (954) 633-8270 to discuss your case.
Different Circumstances, Different Considerations
Depending on the circumstances of your case, we will counsel you on how to proceed legally if you want to pursue financial damages. If you were a passenger in a taxi when it struck or was struck by another vehicle, you may be subject to different forms of damages, and the cab driver, as well as the taxi company, maybe on the hook for your injuries.
If you were a motorist or pedestrian who was injured when a taxi driver struck you or your vehicle, you may also be able to obtain damages from the taxi driver and/or the cab company. There may be nuanced legal considerations depending on the specific circumstances of your accident, and we want to hear about your case today.
Do Not Wait to Contact Counsel
Florida places time limits on your ability to bring legal action in the wake of a motor vehicle collision or pedestrian accident. Victims of motor vehicle collisions, including those in which they were riding in or struck by a taxi, generally have four years from the date of the accident to initiate legal action against the liable party, according to Florida law.
If your loved one died as the result of the motor vehicle collision involving a taxi, the window for you to bring legal action may only be two years. Regardless of the time that has passed since you or your loved one’s accident, call a taxi accident attorney in Miami today, as there are always exceptions to these statutes and they help to file a claim on your taxi accident.
A Taxi Accident Lawyer Serving Miami Will Help You Pursue Damages
There are many ways that a Miami personal injury lawyer can help you sort out and carry forward your case if you were in a motor vehicle collision involving a taxi. Our team at the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato will:
- Meet with you in your place of recovery or home to discuss the accident, including how it happened and how your injuries or loved one’s death have impacted you.
- Speak with all relevant medical professionals to gauge and document the type and extent of your injuries.
- Review and archive all evidence pertaining to the accident, including photographs of the scene, any video of the accident or the aftermath, and police report(s).
- Interview witnesses to the accident, particularly those who can testify that the liable party acted in a negligent manner.
- Speak with your friends, family, and employer(s) to obtain testimony that your injuries have prevented you from working and interfered with your daily life.
- Handle all legal responsibilities (filing, correspondence, etc.) pertaining to your pursuit of damages.
- Ensure your rights are protected throughout the entire legal process.
A Miami taxi accident lawyer will attempt to prove a critical piece in your case: that the liable party acted in a way that was negligent. They will do this by:
- Establishing the liable party’s duty of care.
Whether the defendant is a taxi driver, the owner of the cab company, or another motorist, we will aim to prove that, like all motorists, they had a duty to prevent you from unreasonable chance of harm. This is Florida law.
- Proving that the defendant breached their duty of care to you.
This could be shown through evidence and testimony that the liable party engaged in one or more actions that put you at an unreasonable risk by either contributing to or causing the collision.
- Proving causation.
This is where we aim to show that the collision, caused by or contributed to by the defendant, caused your injuries.
- Calculating and requesting damages.
At this point, we will calculate the total cost of your injuries or your loved one’s death and present an organized case for why you should be compensated for your losses. Call our team at the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato today at (954) 633-8270 to discuss how we can begin pursuing damages on your behalf.
Damages You May Be Entitled to in an Accident Case Involving a Taxi
Every case is different, and damages can vary greatly from one victim to another. With that said, potential damages you may be awarded could cover:
- The cost of emergency transportation
- Any ER bills you may have
- Any surgery stemming from the accident
- The entirety of your hospital stay
- Any ongoing rehabilitation, as well as the cost of transportation to rehab appointments
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
If you are levying a wrongful death claim, additional damages could cover:
- Funeral costs
- Any medical treatment of the deceased before their death
- Loss of financial protection (the deceased’s current wages, future wages, etc.)
- Loss of companionship (spouse)
- Loss of guidance (children)
Call the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato Today
A taxi accident attorney serving Miami on the team at the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato wants to help if you were injured or lost a loved one in an accident involving a taxi. Call us today at (954) 633-8270 to discuss your case.