If Someone Is Killed by Your Car in the USA
If you are involved in a car accident that results in someone being killed by your car, call a car accident lawyer as soon as possible. When you are involved in an accident that takes someone’s life, it can be easy for you to panic or simply not know what to do next. An auto accident lawyer can help you understand the steps you should take for car accident compensation.
A car accident attorney can also help you understand the role you play as the driver of the car. If a friend or family member driving your car at the time of the fatality, your attorney can also help you understand the role you play as the owner of the car.
An auto accident attorney can help you comprehend the laws of the USA and specifically the State of Florida, and how they will determine the consequences of the fatality you were involved in. Contact our Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyer for more legal assistance.
Careless Versus Reckless Driving Can Determine Consequences
A car accident attorney can support you in the aftermath of an accident when someone is killed by your car. One of the ways an attorney can help is by determining whether the accident was the result of carelessness or recklessness.
- Careless driving, under Florida statute §316.1925, is driving that does not meet the predetermined rules of the road for safe, prudent driving.
- Reckless driving, under Florida statute §316.192, is driving in an unsafe manner that puts others in obvious danger or fleeing from the police under any circumstances.
An auto accident attorney in your area can fully explain the legal consequences of accidentally killing someone with your car.
Penalties for vehicular homicide, Florida statute §782.071—causing a death while driving recklessly—can vary greatly according to the circumstances surrounding the accident. Consult with a car accident attorney as soon as possible to review the totality of your case.
Common Reckless Causes of Fatal Car Collisions
In some cases, a car accident is simply that—an accident. In other cases, a car accident can have causes other than driver error. Some leading causes of fatal car accidents include:
- Intoxication: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that driving under the influence of alcohol leads to 29 deaths in the U.S.A. every day.
- Speed: The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported in 2018 that driving faster than the posted speed limit led to 9,378 deaths in the USA.
- Drug abuse: in 2016, the National Institute On Drug Abuse (NIDA) reported that 43.6% of drivers in fatal accidents tested positive for one or more drugs.
- Distraction: in 2017, the NHTSA reported that 3,166 people were killed in accidents that involved a form of distracted driving.
If someone was killed by your car in the U.S.A., discuss your case with a Fort Myers car accident lawyer as soon as you can. When you review your case with an auto accident lawyer, they can inform you of your legal rights and responsibilities and possible penalties and punishments.
An Auto Accident Attorney Is Your Advocate
If you were the driver of a car that accidentally killed someone, a Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer can be your advocate. If you are the owner of a car that killed someone but were not the driver, an auto accident lawyer can help you prove you were not behind the wheel.
If you are the driver, you should not leave the scene of the accident. You should, however, avoid answering questions or speaking to the police without an attorney present. Contact a car accident attorney near you by calling the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato at (954) 633-8270 today.
We also help the victims of a car accident in the following cities: