Auto Accidents Caused by Weather Conditions
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, several types of weather impact roads in a way likely to increase the risk of accidents. Weather factors that can make driving more dangerous include:
- Wind speed
- Air temperature and humidity
- Water level
- Pavement temperature
These conditions are not an excuse for drivers who cause car accidents. In fact, drivers have a responsibility to take these risk factors into account. If you were involved in an accident under dangerous weather conditions, the person that caused your accident may be at fault for your losses.
What Negligence on the Road Looks Like In Dangerous Weather
Motorists who disregard dangerous weather conditions and continue to drive as they usually would are likely putting other drivers, pedestrians, and passengers at risk. Some of the basic driving behaviors that anybody should employ in poor weather include:
- Slowing down
- Increasing the distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you
- Keeping an eye out for hazards
- Turning on fog lights
- Braking before a hill
Depending on the conditions that you are in, there are several other ways that you can reduce the risk of causing an accident. Those who fail to take safety precautions in poor weather may be negligent, and those who continue to drive recklessly are certainly at risk of causing an accident.
Some of the most egregious behaviors when driving in poor weather include:
- Driving without adequate lights on
- Engaging in distracted driving
- Being drunk or under the influence of drugs
If you were involved in an accident in poor driving conditions, one or more of these forms of negligence may be at play, and a Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer can help you pursue any car accident compensation that you are eligible for.
A Car Accident Lawyer Will Help You Pursue Compensation
If you are recovering from injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident or have recently lost a loved one under such circumstances, let a car accident attorney help. They will:
- Determine who is at fault for your losses
- File a motion in the court to get your case started
- Collect and organize all evidence relevant to your case
- Obtain documentation of your injuries for use in a trial
- Speak with witnesses to the accident, including those who saw the defendant acted negligently
- Complete your lawsuit from start to finish
- Defend your rights throughout the process
If your car accident attorney successfully shows that the defendant or defendants in your case were at fault for your accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
Possible Compensation in a Car Accident Lawsuit
The specifics of your case, including the inclement weather, are likely to impact the compensation to which you may be entitled. Still, awards for your case could possibly cover:
- Any emergency transportation you took from the scene of the accident
- Emergency care administered after the accident
- Pain and suffering
- Income that you lost while recovering
- Future costs related to mental and physical rehabilitation
If you file a wrongful death claim, additional compensation may cover:
- Expenses related to your loved one’s funeral
- The loss of the deceased’s future income
- Loss of companionship and financial protection for the deceased’s spouse
- Loss of comfort and guidance for the deceased’s children
You may be able to pursue other forms of damages, depending on your situation.
Call Our Team at the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato Today
We give lawyers a good name, and we will treat you like family. Call the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato today at (954) 633-8270 for a free consultation. Do not wait to call, as Florida’s statute of limitations may limit your window for pursuing compensation.
We also help the victims of a car accident in the following cities: