Car Accident Deaths Rise During COVID-19 in Florida
Several metrics show that COVID-19 has not slowed the rate of car accident deaths on Florida’s roads. This is not necessarily what most Floridians expected.
Those who have suffered a traffic accident during COVID-19 can hire a Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer from our firm to help with their case.
Florida’s roads are as Dangerous as ever, data show
Florida keeps track of traffic deaths. We know for certain that 2020, a year defined by COVID-19, was a deadlier year in terms of traffic deaths than in 2019.
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), in 2019, there were:
- 2,956 fatal accidents in Florida
- 3,192 total traffic deaths in Florida
In 2020, there were:
- 3,084 fatal accidents in Florida
- 3,323 total traffic deaths in Florida
There were roughly 60,000 fewer traffic accidents in 2020 than in 2019. Yet, the number of fatal accidents increased.
Why Fatal Accidents may have risen during COVID-19
In theory, COVID-19 was expected to lead to:
- Fewer commuters on the road
- Fewer tourists traveling on the state’s roads
- Fewer Floridians driving to beaches, restaurants, and other leisure-related locations
- Fewer overall vehicles on the road
It was a reasonable assumption that fewer accidents, traffic injuries, and traffic deaths would result from these circumstances. However, we now know that, while some of these instances may have applied, traffic deaths have not decreased.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) notes that rising rates of traffic deaths during COVID-19 is due in part to:
- Increased instances of driving while under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- A segment of risk-averse drivers engaging in risky behavior, such as speeding
- A general change in driving patterns, which could be due to fewer total vehicles being on the road
It is clear that risky driving remains a threat no matter the social climate. This is true throughout Florida.
What you can do to pursue justice for an accident
COVID-19 or no COVID-19, victims of car accidents in Florida have a right to pursue justice. Those who have experienced injury or lost a loved one because of an accident have several options.
A personal injury lawyer in Florida from our firm can be of assistance. We can:
- Explain what your legal options are
- Explain how your specific circumstances affect your potential case
- Tell you how to move forward with your case
Those who caused an accident in 2020 or 2021 may have been engaged in risky behavior. This may make them negligent and entitle you to collect compensation.
What you could receive for an accident during COVID-19
The potential awards for a car accident remain the same amidst COVID-19. If you were injured or your loved one died because of a negligent driver, you may receive awards for your specific losses.
Wrongful Death Damages
If you are filing a wrongful death case, your damages may include:
- Funeral costs
- Burial costs
- Pre-death medical care
- Loss of income
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering
- Other non-economic damages that depend on your relationship with the decedent
Personal Injury Damages
In a personal injury case, your damages may cover your:
- Current and future healthcare expenses, including hospital stays, medications, and therapy
- Lost income, diminished earning power, lost productivity, and similar types of losses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional and psychological trauma
- Loss of quality of life
Our team can help you identify all of the potentially recoverable damages in your case.
The deadline to sue in Florida
Note that there are deadlines to take legal action in Florida. Per Florida Statutes § 95.11, you typically have:
- Two years from the date of your loved one’s death to file a wrongful death lawsuit
- Four years from the date of your accident to file a personal injury lawsuit
If the let the legal deadline in your case passes without taking action, you may lose your right to sue. A lawyer from our firm can help you file your case on time.
Call Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato for a free case evaluation
A Florida auto accident attorney from the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato can help you fight for compensation. Our firm has decades of experience handling car accident claims in Florida. We give attorneys a good name by treating our clients like family.
Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato is a contingency-fee firm. Our clients pay us attorney’s fees only if they win their case and receive a settlement or court award. There are no upfront fees required to work with us.
Call Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato today at (954) 633-8270 for a free consultation with a member of our team. We can go over your accident, your damages, and your legal options during this call.