Type Of Compensation Would I Recover In Funeral Home Abuse Case in Florida
There are many different types of compensation that you could recover in a funeral home abuse case. However, every case is different, so there is no way we can estimate the damages for your case without first examining the details of your case.
Some common types of damages that families may recover in these cases, though, are:
- Economic Damages: If you have missed work or expect to be out of work in the future because of the funeral home negligence, you may be able to recover lost wages and loss of future earnings.
- Non-Economic Damages: Non-economic damages include things like emotional distress, depression, and anxiety.
- Punitive Damages: If the judge decides to punish the defendant for their gross negligence, they may assign punitive damages.
Types of Funeral Home Abuses
Funeral homes are required to treat your loved one’s body with respect and care. When they fail to meet that reasonable expectation of care, their actions are negligent or abusive. Some of the common types of negligence or abuse by nursing homes are:
- Mishandling the body: Sadly, some funeral home staff disfigures, distorts, or even sexually abuse bodies. In other cases, they behave negligently, storing the body improperly, or placing multiple bodies in one coffin. Placing a body in a broken coffin is also neglectful, as the body will not be stored properly.
- Robbing the corpse: In some cases, people who work for the funeral home may make jewelry and other items off the body to sell or keep personally. It is not unheard of that someone may rob a body of gold fillings, organs, and other parts to sell.
- Mishandling of the gravesite: If your funeral home is responsible for tending to your loved one’s gravesite after the burial, then it is important to ensure the work is done properly. In another worst-case scenario, there are cases in which funeral homes will dig up coffins, switch them with less expensive coffins, and re-sell your loved one’s more expensive coffin.
While many of these scenarios are horrible to even consider, not all funeral home negligence is intentional, such as a coffin being dropped and broken. In other cases, the funeral home may be trying to cut expenses to increase profitability. In either case, though, your loved one’s body did not receive the respect it deserves.
Call the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato for Help
If you believe your loved one’s body was abused or neglected, you have the right to hold the funeral home responsible for their abusive or negligent behavior. At the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato, our team helps families fight for compensation in funeral home abuse cases.
We understand how painful it can be to learn that your loved one’s body was neglected or mistreated. However, we are here to help you hold the defendant responsible for their behavior. For a free review of your case, contact us today at (954) 633-8270.
We also help the funeral home negligence victims in other cities: