What Type of Lawyer Do I Need to Sue A Funeral Home?
Whenever you are planning to pursue compensation in the civil courts, it may help to have a lawyer on your side who has treaded similar waters before. When you are planning to sue a funeral home for negligence, it may be a good idea to use the services of a funeral home negligence lawyer.
Many law firms list their practice areas on their website. Accordingly, you may want to work with a lawyer that lists funeral home negligence, lost remains, or gravesite negligence on their website.
Possible Forms of Negligence by Funeral Home Operators
When you choose to routinely handle the remains of somebody’s recently-deceased loved one, you are in one of the most sensitive professions that there are. Negligence in this capacity can be especially painful to the victims.
Examples of funeral home negligence may include:
- Losing your loved one’s remains or ashes
- Selling your loved one’s remains or ashes
- Mistakenly cremating or burying your loved one
- Allowing for theft for personal items from your loved one’s body
- Mishandling your loved one’s body in some way that causes damage to their appearance
- Placing somebody else’s body in your loved one’s casket, which may lead to embarrassment and shock during the funeral
- Embalming your loved one’s remains in an inadequate fashion, which may lead to decay or an otherwise off-putting appearance
- Burying your loved one in the wrong location
- Allowing or perpetuating the sexual abuse of your loved one’s remains
- Negligent maintenance or allowing desecration to a gravesite
Each of these possible forms of negligence by operators of a funeral home could warrant legal action on your part. If this type of negligence occurred during your loved one’s funeral services, a lawyer may be able to help your family collect compensation in a funeral home negligence lawsuit.
Possible Compensation for Victims of Funeral Home Negligence
The nature of the negligence that befell your family may impact any awards granted to you by a jury or via a settlement. In funeral home abuse cases, possible awards include coverage for:
- Reimbursement for the cost of any services paid to the nursing home where the negligence occurred
- The cost of your loved one’s funeral
- Emotional distress inflicted on you and other family members by the person who committed negligence
You may be entitled to additional civil damages depending on the details of the negligence that your family has endured. When you consult with a funeral home lawyer, they may be able to give you details about possible compensation in your case.
Call the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato Today
The Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato represent victims in funeral home negligence cases in South Florida. We can provide you responsive and caring representation during this difficult time.
Your family can take space from the legal proceedings to grieve the loss of your loved one while we fight for compensation on your behalf. Our lawyers can manage the logistics of your case, including:
- Answering your questions, providing legal advice, and discussing possible outcomes of your case
- Managing all legal deadlines and paperwork
- Communicating with insurances companies and other parties on your behalf
- Gathering evidence of the funeral home’s negligence
- Negotiating with the insurance companies for a settlement offer
- Bringing the lawsuit to court if the insurance company is not willing to make a fair offer
Call our Florida funeral home negligence lawyer today at (954) 633-8270 for a free consultation. We can discuss your legal deadlines and the possible legal options in your case. We may be able to offer you representation on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front costs.
We also help the funeral home negligence victims in other cities: