Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility How to Get Car Accident Police Report in Fort Lauderdale, FL

How to Get a Car Accident Police Report in Fort Lauderdale


Fill out the form below to submit your inquiry

    Car Accident Police Report

    The moments after a car accident may be overwhelming and disorientating. You may be in pain, concerned about the safety of your passengers, or attempting to move your vehicle out of traffic. First, you need to follow the steps to prevent car accident crash injuries.

    A police report may be the last thing on your mind. However, it can be a critical piece of evidence when it comes to recovering your damages through an insurance claim.

    In most cases, the easiest way to file a police report is by calling law enforcement to the scene of the accident. If it is an emergency or if someone has been injured, call 911. If the accident was minor, you may call the non-emergency phone number to report the accident at (954) 633-8270.

    How to Get a Copy of Your Car Accident Police Report  

    If your vehicle accident occurred within the last 60 days, you can obtain a copy of your police report from the Police Record Unit in writing. You must fill out an affidavit specifying why you need the report in order to access it. Reports may be requested in person or by mail.

    After 60 days, the affidavit is no longer required to request a copy of the police report. All requests may incur an applicable service charge for each page of the car accident report you request. This cost ranges from $0.15 to $1.00 per page, based on whether it is a certified copy.

    If your vehicle accident occurred more than a year ago, you will need to contact officials in Tallahassee at 850-617-3416. They can recommend your next steps.

    Additionally, you can contact a Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer who can track down your car accident report and other evidence required to build an insurance claim related to your auto accident injury or damage to your vehicle. And if you don’t know what to do after injured in a car accident contact our experienced lawyers in Florida.

    Do I Need to File a Police Report? 

    Florida law does not require you to file a police report for accidents causing no injury or death and less than $500 worth of damage.

    However, we recommend filing a police report for minor accidents. For example, you may be required to present a police report if you file an insurance claim. Additionally, you may discover an auto accident injury or damage in the days after the accident that exceed the $500 legal threshold.

    Contact Our Experienced Lawyer Today 

    If you need assistance recovering your car accident report, our personal injury lawyers in Fort Lauderdale can help. The auto accident lawyers on the team at Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato are committed to protecting the rights of accident victims. Our caring and attentive staff are devoted to ensuring all our clients understand all their legal options. For a free Fort Lauderdale car accident case review, contact us today at (954) 633-8270.

    We also help the victims of a car accident in the following cities:

    Back To Top