Why Is It Taking So Long For My Motorbike Accident to Settlement?
Every motorcycle accident case takes time to settle. Yet, some cases take longer than others. Some factors that can prolong the claims process range from uncooperative insurance adjusters to issues regarding liability. If you’re still recovering from a serious condition, you may not want to settle your case until you understand the final cost of your healthcare expenses, also extending the process.
The Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato can’t guarantee a fast settlement. Yet, we can guarantee that with us on your side, you’ll have an advocate who’s focused on your case’s success. To learn more about partnering with our team, dial (954) 633-8270.
Some Insurers Do Not Want to Pay Motorcycle Accident Settlements
As the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) explains, everyone who drives a vehicle with four wheels must have insurance. So, if you collided with a car, you may file your claim with the at-fault motorist’s insurance provider. Still, not all insurers play by the rules. Some prioritize their profits over compensating injured people.
The liable insurer may:
- Offer less than you need
- Interpret evidence that makes you at fault
- Pressure you to accept a rushed, inadequate settlement offer, just to get the case over with faster
- Demand a recorded statement, so it can use your own words against you
- Slow the settlement process by drawing out the investigation, not sending or acknowledging paperwork in a timely fashion, and so on
To get a fair motorcycle accident settlement, you will have to deal with insurance adjusters. They might try all of the tactics above—and more—to deny the settlement you deserve.
You Don’t Have to Face the Insurer Alone
If you have not already hired a motorcycle accident attorney, now would be a good time to consider your options. The mere presence of a legal representative could compel the insurance company to cooperate. If not, your Lakeland motorcycle accident lawyer could:
- Draft a demand letter for the insurer, detailing how the accident happened and why you have asked for this specific amount of compensation
- Negotiate directly with the insurer’s representatives for a settlement that matches your needs
- Handle all case-related communications
- Relay the insurer’s various communications and offers to you, along with advice on what an appropriate response might be
No matter what the insurer may say or imply, you have the right to hire a Lakeland motorcycle accident attorney and pursue fair compensation for your motorcycle accident.
Factors That Complicate Some Motorcycle Accident Cases
There were over 9,000 motorcycle accidents in Florida in 2022, according to the FLHSMV. Each of these accidents occurred in different ways, including:
- Driver error, such as a failure to obey traffic laws or driving while distracted by a cell phone or other device
- Faulty auto or motorcycle parts that cause a rider to lose control or suffer more serious injuries after a crash happens
- Employer policies that force or pressure drivers to take unsafe actions
- Unsafe roadways caused by the local government’s failure to keep an area in good repair
If only one of these causes led to your accident, you would only have to deal with one liable party. If multiple parties contributed to your accident—say, if the driver who hit you was exhausted because their employer did not allow them adequate breaks—you might have a case against more than one party.
The more parties get involved in a case, the longer you might have to fight for a settlement. A Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer can investigate your accident and fight for the money you need, no matter how complex your case is.
Clerical Errors Can Delay Your Accident Settlement
Sometimes, delays in receiving a settlement are due to deliberate interference, such as bad faith insurance practices. However, it is important not to overlook the possibility of a simple misunderstanding.
For example, the settlement process requires many different people to file paperwork at different places and times. If even a single form gets lost or misplaced, your settlement could be unfairly delayed.
Before assuming the worst about why your Fort Myers motorcycle accident attorney is taking so long, your attorney could make sure nothing went wrong at a clerical level. Then:
- They can update you on their findings.
- If something minor caused the delay, they can fix it.
- If the delay resulted from intentional stonewalling, they can continue to fight for your settlement.
If you hire an attorney to represent you, they can manage all bureaucratic matters, such as filing your case’s required paperwork. This way, they can prevent any complications that arise from misfiled documents or inaccurate forms.
Want Help Getting a Motorcycle Accident Settlement?
If you find yourself waiting a very long time for a settlement, the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato can determine why. Then, we can implement a course of action that aims to recover the compensation you need. We can negotiate directly with the insurance company or file your lawsuit in civil court.
Call (954) 633-8270 to start a free case review.