What Factors Influence the Value of Your Car Accident Claim, and How Can a Lawyer Help?
Among the factors that determine the value of your car accident claim are the nature, severity, and financial toll of your injuries. A
lawyer can help with your case by finding evidence that proves your case’s worth to the insurance company.
It is a car accident lawyer’s job to make your case file strong enough to convince the insurer to pay a car accident settlement that is commensurate with your losses.
What Injuries Did You Suffer in the Car Accident?
The kinds of injuries you sustain can have a big impact when it comes to determining your settlement. For example:
- Does the doctor expect you to make a full recovery, or will you remain partially or totally disabled for life?
- Have your injuries left you with permanent scars?
- How long will your recovery take?
- How serious are your injury symptoms? For example, can you still perform some basic living tasks (e.g., bathing) on your own, or are you entirely dependent on others?
- Did your loved one pass away because of their accident injuries, resulting in a wrongful death?
Answering These Questions Is Critical to Your Car Accident Claim
Before the insurer will pay you anything, you need to prove that your physical, emotional, and psychological damages are bad enough to justify the amount you are asking for. A Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyer can help you get the money you need by:
- Reviewing your medical records
- Getting a medical expert to examine you and comment on your case
- Speaking with you, your family, and your friends
Car Accidents and the Value of Your Financial Losses
Of all the factors affecting car accident claims, monetary losses are, surprisingly, the least significant. For most accident survivors, the majority of the settlement is based on physical and psychological loss rather than financial loss.
That said, you will almost certainly have to deal with additional expenses after a car crash. You should ask for enough to cover:
- Medical treatments, including both past and future costs related to medication, therapy, hospital stays, and home nursing, among other expenses
- Travel expenses incurred when seeking medical care
- Damage to your car
- Past and future loss of income
A Lawyer Can Assess the Value of Economic Damages
Seeking legal assistance for car accidents can make it easier for you to put together an estimate of how much money the crash has cost you. For example, your representative can:
- Look at your medical bills and other bills generated by the crash
- Talk to medical and economics experts
- Ask your employer for a statement
- Review your paystubs from before and after the car accident
The Statute of Limitations, Legal Help, and Your Car Accident Claim
If you plan on suing the at-fault driver, your case only has value for a limited time following the accident. In other words, if you wait too long to file your case, you become ineligible for compensation.
For example, nearly 400,000 traffic accidents occurred in Florida in 2022 alone, per Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV). The survivors of these accidents have two years to start a lawsuit, per Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(a).
Exploring Your Options for Seeking Car Accident Damages
Determining what factors influence the value of your car accident claim is, of course, essential, but it is only a first step. You will also have to review the different ways of seeking compensation and determine which method is right for you. A Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer can help with this by:
- Telling you about the pros and cons of each option
- Answering all of your questions until you are knowledgeable and comfortable enough to make the right decision for your family
- Determining how much you can sue for and asking the at-fault party’s insurer to pay that amount promptly
- Contacting the insurer and negotiating with them until they agree to give you what you need
- Taking your case to court if negotiations are unsuccessful or not an option
Timely Legal Assistance Can Boost Your Case
The sooner you talk to a personal injury attorney about your situation, the more your lawyer may be able to help you. This is because:
- More evidence is typically available right after the accident happens than months or years down the line.
- Allowing your lawyer to speak to the insurer for you right from the beginning can prevent them from trying to undervalue your claim.
- You and your lawyer would have more time to plan an effective strategy before the statute of limitations runs out.
We Can Determine Your Car Accident Claim’s True Value
Many factors determine the value of your car accident claim. Call the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato at (954) 633-8270 to find out how our lawyer can help you evaluate and prove your claim. Our team treats clients like family as we protect their right to fair damages in car accident cases.