Exercising outdoors? Stay Safe with these Tips
Exercising outdoors whether it’s jogging, walking, hiking or bike riding can provide beautiful scenery and change up a boring indoor workout routine, but it’s important to stay safe while doing so.
If you’re heading outside to work out, remember these tips from the Crime Stoppers of Atlanta.
- Plan your route ahead of time.
- Let a friend or family member know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Carry a cell phone; if you do not have a cell phone, be aware of nearby public phones along your route.
- Be aware of your surroundings; avoid areas where criminals may conceal themselves like alleys or tall grass.
- Bring an exercise buddy or your dog with you.
- Avoid wearing headphones for better awareness of your surroundings.
- Try to stay in well-lit and populated areas.
- Keep a safe distance from cars that ask you for directions.
- Carry your identification with you at all times.
- If you get an uneasy feeling, trust those instincts and leave the area to find a safe location, preferably a public area with other people.