Miami School Bus Accident Attorney
Approximately 17,000 children are treated in emergency rooms for school bus-related injuries each year. That does not take into consideration the other motorists who are injured or killed in school bus accidents. In 2017 alone, 7,000 other people were injured in school bus accidents, either as a driver or passenger in another car.
If you or someone you love has been hurt or killed in a Miami school bus accident, you are probably overwhelmed by what has happened to you, whether you are coping with the death of a loved one, helping a family member heal from their injuries, or recovering from being injured yourself.
Our team of Miami school bus accident lawyers is dedicated to providing compassionate legal guidance during this challenging time. We have developed a reputation for treating our clients like family, and we do all we can to build a strong case and pursue compensation to the fullest extent of your injuries.
To take advantage of our free, no-risk consultation, contact the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato at (954) 633-8270.
Common Causes of Miami School Bus Accidents
There are a multitude of circumstances that can cause a school bus accident. However, just like any other type of wreck, most school bus accidents are preventable and have occurred because of the negligence of another party. Some common causes of school bus accidents include:
- Speeding: Drivers are usually kept on strict schedules that can be impacted by weather or heavy traffic, so they can be tempted to drive at unsafe speeds and thereby impact their ability to slow in time if traffic suddenly slows or stops.
- Drowsy Driving: Driving while tired has become a major problem across the United States, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that drowsy driving was the cause of 44,000 injuries and 800 deaths in 2013.
Even more terrifying are the one in 25 drivers who report having fallen asleep while driving in the last 30 days. School bus drivers, who often have to get up incredibly early to get kids to school on time, may be overly tired, which could slow their reaction time or cause them to forget to check blind spots.
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving is a leading cause of accidents in the U.S., primarily because of the presence of cell phones. However, school bus drivers also have the distraction of school kids who could cause them to take their eyes off the road long enough to get into an accident.
- Poor Maintenance: Sometimes, it is not the driver’s fault but rather poor maintenance that leads to an accident.
- Defective Parts: Defective parts created by a manufacturer are another common cause of school bus accidents.
Whether you or your child was injured in an accident caused by one of these circumstances or something else led to their injuries, you have the right to hold the at-fault party responsible. Speak with a Miami school bus accident lawyer with the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato at (954) 633-8270 to learn of your options.
Recoverable Damages After a School Bus Accident
While every accident is different, some common types of damages that victims are able to recover in cases like these include:
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Future wages, if you have lost your earning potential
- Pain and suffering
If your loved one did not survive the accident, you may also be able to recover:
Establishing Liability in a Miami School Bus Accident Case
School bus accident cases can be complex because it can be challenging to determine who is at-fault for the accident. Moreover, some parties receive extra protections during these accidents. For example, if the school bus was owned by the school district, then strict procedural and notice rules must be followed, as you are dealing with a government entity. On the other hand, if the bus was privately owned and the driver was employed by that company, then those rules do not apply.
Possible parties who may be liable in these cases include:
- The bus driver
- School system
- Bus manufacturer or part manufacturer
- Maintenance company
Working With a Miami School Bus Accident Lawyer
A Miami school bus accident lawyer from our Miami personal injury lawyer team can help you identify the liable parties and gather the necessary evidence to build a strong case, including:
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Eyewitness statements
- Video surveillance
We also understand the rules and policies we must follow in order to hold the at-fault parties responsible. Our Florida school bus accident attorney team will be there to guide you through the process from start to finish to take the burden off your shoulders while you heal from your injuries.
To learn what your options are for recovering damages or how you can start the process of filing a Miami school bus accident claim, contact the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato at (954) 633-8270.
Read our blog related to school bus accident:
School Bus Safety Week is October 17-21