West Palm Beach Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.
~ Mark Twain, Taming the Bicycle. 1884
Bicycles are a common means of transportation, recreation and exercise throughout West Palm Beach. Even when wearing a helmet, a bicycle offers little protection if you are involved in an accident. A bicycle accident often leads to severe and catastrophic injuries.
Unfortunately, out of all the states in the U.S, Florida ranks first in terms of cycling fatalities. When looking at the most recent ranking for the most dangerous cycling cities in the U.S., it’s easy to see that our Sunshine State dominates as one of the most dangerous places for cyclists.
- Orlando/Kissimmee, Florida
- Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Florida
- Jacksonville, Florida
- Miami/Fort Lauderdale/Pompano, Florida
- Riverside/San Bernardino/Ontario, California
- Las Vegas/Paradise, Nevada
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale, Arizona
- Houston/Sugar Land/Baytown, Texas
- Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington, Texas
While the state of Florida continues to try and make the roads safer for cyclists through a combination of advocacy, education, and legislature, the team of Lawyers at Wolf and Pravato is committed to the pursuit of justice for those who have been wronged and suffered from the actions of careless motorists in West Palm Beach.
Our Accident Attorneys Can Help
In Florida, the bicycle is legally defined as a vehicle and the bicyclist as a driver. This means that bicyclists have the same rights on the roadways as drivers of other vehicles. It also means they must obey the same traffic laws as the drivers of other vehicles, too.
Bicyclists must stop for stop signs and red lights, ride with the flow of traffic, use lights when riding after dark, yield the right-of-way when entering a roadway and yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
Persons injured in bicycle accidents face unique legal challenges under the laws of Florida which require specific knowledge and experience as it concerns the rights of bicyclists.
Common Causes of Bike Accidents
There are a number of ways in which bicycle accidents occur. However, most reported accidents involve a careless or negligent driver. Many bicycle accidents in Florida involve the following types of reckless driving:
- Failure to Yield: Bicyclists have the same right-of-way privileges as motorists, under Florida law. When a motor vehicle unexpectedly turns into the path of a cyclist or overtakes a bicyclist, the results can be catastrophic.
- Running a red light or stop sign: All motorists and bicyclists are required to follow the rules of the road and obey traffic control devices.
- Distracted driving: Talking on a cellphone or using other electronic devices while driving is illegal in the state of Florida.
- Failure to share the road: Bike lanes are for bicyclists. Beware of distracted or reckless drivers who drift or veer into bike lanes causing bad collisions or force the bicycle off the road.
- Speeding: Driving over the speed limit is a real problem in Florida. When a motor vehicle hits a bicyclist while speeding, the injuries to the bicyclist can be catastrophic.
Let Wolf & Pravato File Your Bicycle Accident Claim
Our bike accident team of attorneys in West Palm Beach understands Florida bicycle accident law. Remember, the goal of the insurance company is to pay as little as possible to settle your claim. Our goal is to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Contact us immediately. We will answer all of your questions, explain your rights and help you to achieve justice.
Call 1-954-633-8270 to schedule a consultation today or fill out our FREE consultation form today.