Motorcycle Accidents in Florida Prevalent Because of Higher Gas Prices
Research shows that motorcycle accidents increase with higher gas prices. Injury Epidemiology reports that with every dollar increase in gas prices, 295,000 motorcycles are sold. Consequentially, this results in 233 additional accident-related deaths each year.
This isn’t a new trend. A 2009 study from the American Public Health Association suggested similar findings. It noted that motorcycles get better mileage than passenger vehicles, encouraging people to switch methods of transportation. Yet, this increases motorcycle accidents nationwide.
Is Florida Dangerous for Motorcycle Accidents?
Florida consistently sees more motorcycle accidents than any other state. Per Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 2021 saw 8,636 motorcycle accidents and 592 fatalities.
Reasons for the frequency of motorcycle accidents include:
- Florida’s weather is conducive to year-round motorcycle riding.
- Florida has more registered motorcycles than many other states.
- During the rainy seasons, motorcyclists risk hydroplaning.
- Congested traffic (especially during rush hour near Miami) endangers all road users, including motorcyclists.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that drunk driving in Florida is above the national average. Intoxication plays a key role in many motorcycle accidents throughout the state.
Common Causes of Florida Motorcycle Accidents
Many motorcycle accidents result from driver and rider error, which include:
- Speeding: Drivers who speed have less time to brake. The driver might not see a motorcyclist until it is too late, and they cannot stop in time before hitting them.
- Driving under the influence: When motorcyclists and other motorists drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs, they have impaired judgment. Impaired driving may cause fatigue, reckless driving, and other acts of negligence.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving isn’t just texting or talking on a cellphone. It also includes listening to the radio, talking to other road users, and eating.
- Reckless driving: This includes speeding, weaving in and out of lanes, and failing to yield.
- Lane splitting. Lane splitting is also a common cause of motorcycle accidents. Lane splitting is when a motorcyclist rides between lanes with slower traffic. It’s beneficial for motorcyclists because it can save time, but it can also lead to fatal accidents.
Consider Your Legal Options if You Suffered Harm in a Collision
Motorcycle accidents are more prevalent in Florida as gas prices rise. Unfortunately, you may not know where to turn if you or a loved one was in a motorcycle accident. A motorcycle accident attorney Fort Myers can explain your rights and pursue:
- Out-of-pocket costs, such as temporary transportation arrangements
- Past, present, and future medical bills
- Income lost, including tips and bonuses
- Diminished earning capacity
- The cost of replacing or repairing your motorcycle
- Pain and Suffering
- Emotional trauma
If you lost a loved one, you shouldn’t have to navigate the claims process alone. You could hire a wrongful death attorney Florida. While you celebrate your loved one’s life, your attorney can seek funeral expenses, the decedent’s lost income, and final healthcare costs.
You Have a Limited Time To Pursue a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit
While considering your legal options, you should keep these deadlines in mind:
- Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a) notes that you generally have four years to file your motorcycle accident lawsuit.
- Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d) notes that you typically have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
These deadlines are critical to your case’s outcome. If you don’t file your case within these periods, you could lose the right to seek damages for your motorcycle accident case.
You Can Secure Legal Help on a Contingency-Fee Basis
Many motorcycle accident lawyers work on contingency. Their firm will finance your case’s filing and consulting fees. They’ll also manage your case at no upfront cost to you. Everyone can afford legal aid when lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis and so can you.
Connect with Our Team for More Information About Your Situation
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents are more prevalent because of higher gas prices. If you suffered harm in a collision, you have financial recovery options. Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Florida from the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato advocates for motorcycle accident claimants and their loved ones. With our team’s help, you can recover damages for everything you need. To begin your free case review, Call (954) 633-8270. When you connect with our firm, we can answer your questions and explain your next steps.