Accidents Caused by Aggressive Driving and When to Seek Legal Advice
Aggressive driving accidents are caused by impatient, angry drivers who feel under pressure or as if they have been wronged somehow. This causes them to act recklessly and put others in harm’s way. It is up to you to decide when to consult a Car Accident Lawyer Fort Lauderdale after such a crash, but it is generally in your best interest to do so as soon as possible.
A car accident lawyer can confront the aggressive driver on your behalf and pursue the compensation you deserve after suffering such unnecessary and frightening injuries.
What Constitutes Aggressive Driving?
Per the Insurance Information Institute (III), aggressive driving refers to a wide range of risky driving behaviors that put other people in harm’s way. It is different from driver mistakes or errors: it is an intentional choice on the driver’s part to endanger others, either in an attempt to get somewhere faster or to “avenge” some perceived wrong.
Aggressive driving behaviors include:
- Following another car too closely
- Ignoring red lights, yellow lights, yield signs, or stop signs
- Inappropriate lane change behavior, including cutting off other drivers
- Harassing other drivers by yelling, honking the horn, flashing the headlights for no reason, or making threatening gestures
Aggressive Driving Is Illegal
While each state passes its driving laws, most states forbid the types of behaviors outlined above. In Florida, for instance, it is not enough to just follow the speed limit: according to Florida Statutes § 316.183, drivers must exhibit common sense and maintain a speed that “is reasonable and prudent under the conditions.”
In other words, even if you obey a speed limit of 50 miles per hour, your driving could still be considered aggressive if the conditions (e.g., construction or a heavy rainstorm) make it dangerous to drive at that speed.
How Common Are Aggressive Driving Accidents?
How many accidents are caused by road rage varies from state to state. Aggressive driving statistics from the III show that reckless and careless behavior is responsible for thousands of deaths every year across the country. The most common causes of traffic fatalities are:
- Speeding, which accounted for over 11,000 accidents—representing 18.5 percent of all fatal car and motorcycle crashes—in 2021
- Intoxicating substances, which can increase the likelihood of aggressive behavior and which led to over 6,800 fatal crashes
- “Careless” driver behavior, which accounted for over 4,600 fatal accidents
- Ignoring road signs or other indicators of who has the right of way, caused over 4,200 fatal collisions
- Weaving between lanes or drifting out of the correct lane, which resulted in over 4,000 fatal accidents
Even one aggressive driving accident is too many. If you were involved in such an accident, know that you have the legal right to consult a Miami car accident lawyer to pursue compensation.
When Should You See an Attorney After an Aggressive Driving Accident?
Aggressive driving causes may differ from case to case, but the remedies are the same: see a doctor as soon as possible to treat your wounds, and then consult a lawyer to start pursuing accident compensation.
Get a Free Consultation From Multiple Law Firms
Many firms offer free case reviews to everyone who calls, regardless of whether you go on to hire them or not. Take advantage of this service by consulting with multiple firms. This will give you a sense of your case’s merits and how different firms would approach your case.
Determine the Lawyer’s Experience With Aggressive Driving Accidents
You want a representative who already knows about the specific features of a case like yours. When you consult a lawyer about the causes of your aggressive driving accident, ask them directly about their past experiences and case results, including how they:
- Might go about proving negligence
- Deal with potential obstacles, like stalled negotiations
- Plan to keep you informed throughout the case
- Expect to be paid for their services
Listen to Your Gut When Consulting a Lawyer
Never ignore the comfort factor when seeking an attorney. Even if the firm is experienced and competent, if you feel uncomfortable or sense something “off,” do not hire that firm. Accident cases can take a while to settle, and you want to spend that time working with a firm you are compatible with.
The car accident lawyer you pick should be compassionate and responsive as well as professional. Pay attention to how they treat you and make you feel during your visit.
Consulting a Lawyer After an Aggressive Driving Accident
While it is understandable to feel frustrated when dealing with traffic or delays, there is no excuse for aggressive driving accidents. The Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato can provide more information on the causes of such accidents when you consult a lawyer at our firm. Call (954) 633-8270 to get a free case assessment today.