Motorcycle Maintenance: Could Ignoring Your Bike Cause An Accident?
Motorcycle ownership is an important responsibility, and failure to maintain your bike could result in less-than-optimal performance, contributing to an accident. If a motorcycle accident lawyer represents you after a collision, they can explain your rights as the injured party. Your attorney will also explain the liable party’s responsibilities and the importance of motorcycle maintenance. If your bike was not in good repair when the accident occurred, your lawyer can navigate your insurance claim’s complexities.
The Importance of Motorcycle Maintenance and Accident Prevention
According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) guidelines, motorcycle maintenance can help keep you and others safe on the road. It recommends making the following safety checks before every ride:
- Checking tire pressure and tread depth
- Inspecting both hand and foot brake pads
- Examining your headlights and turn signals
These are short-term checks that can make your immediate ride safer. You should also stay on top of long-term maintenance. Doing so ensures your bike is always road-ready and every ride is as safe as possible.
You should also check your helmet and other riding gear to protect yourself as much as possible from the impact of an accident. Protective gear can mitigate the injuries you suffer in a collision.
Long-Term Motorcycle Maintenance for Safe Riding
Your motorcycle balances on two tires, and their state is an important part of controlling your bike. They bear your weight and the weight of the bike, helping you make smooth turns and effective stops. Making sure your tires are inflated to the proper specifications and have appropriate depth is an important part of bike maintenance.
Other elements of bike repair and regular maintenance that can help you avoid an accident include checking:
- Brakes and brake pads for wear and tear
- The levels of brake fluid, coolant, oil, etc.
- Turn signals, head lamps, brake lights, and taillights
- Battery connections and charging capabilities
- Saddlebags for sturdiness and security
Routinely check every button, signal, lever, cable, and pedal that contributes to the safe operation of your motorcycle. Remember, if you cannot control your bike effectively under regular circumstances, you will not be able to do so in the panic of an accident.
How Failure to Perform a Motorcycle Inspection Could Cause an Accident
Motorcycle owners have the same responsibility as vehicle owners to drive with caution, obey the rules of the road, and properly maintain their bikes. Failure to do so can cause motorcycle crashes that result in serious injuries. Unfortunately, in a collision, the occupants of the motorcycle are more likely to suffer serious injuries than the occupants of the car.
Some examples of motorcycle neglect and accident causes include:
- Signaling a turn or lane change with a broken light that prevents other road users from predicting your movements
- Applying your brakes when they are faulty, which could prevent you from stopping and cause a collision
- Using a faulty steering system that could cause you to lose control of the motorcycle
- Securing your saddlebags and ensuring that cargo doesn’t spill onto the roadway
While not exhaustive, this list indicates the importance of regular motorcycle maintenance. If any of these factors cause an accident, you could have problems recovering compensation for your personal losses. It could also mean you can be compelled to compensate others involved in the collision.
A Motorcycle Accident Can Be Costly if Negligence Is Assigned to You
To recover damages after a west palm beach motorcycle accident lawyer, you must show how the at-fault party’s negligence led to your collision. This requires gathering evidence to illustrate these four factors:
- Duty of care. The negligent driver had an obligation to drive with reasonable caution and keep their vehicle in working condition.
- Breach of duty. The at-fault party did not act with others’ safety in mind.
- Causation. The other party’s actions or omissions caused the collision.
- Damages. As the motorcycle accident victim, you have damages resulting from the crash.
It’s important to consider legal representation if neglecting your motorcycle could have caused or contributed to the accident. Even being deemed partially liable for the collision could reduce the compensation you can recover.
A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Seek These Damages
You don’t have to stress about proving negligence when you hire a fort lauderdule motorcycle accident attorney. They can demonstrate the other party’s role in the accident and seek full compensation for your injury-related hardships, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Treatment expenses and other medical bills
- Rehab and therapy
- Income losses
- Property damage expenses
- Emotional distress
You deserve full compensation for your losses after suffering a Miami motorcycle accident lawyer .Even if poor maintenance played a role, as long as you didn’t cause most of the collision, you can still recover damages.
Learn More About the Importance of Regular Motorcycle Maintenance
Irregular motorcycle maintenance is a form of neglecting your bike and could lead to an accident. If this happened to you, our client-focused team at the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato is on your side. You do not have to deal with the legalities of a motorcycle crash on your own. Connect with our law firm by calling (954) 633-8270. We offer free initial consultations.