How to Deal with Anxiety Following a Car Accident
Mental health professionals can teach you how to cope with anxiety after a car accident and recommend various treatments, like counseling and medication. Each car accident survivor has different psychological and emotional symptoms, and you may consult with experts to provide a personalized treatment plan.
Car accidents can cause severe anxiety, and foregoing treatment could have devastating consequences. Your well-being is paramount after a car accident, and your overall well-being is impossible without treating anxiety.
Coping Strategies for Car Accident Victims Suffering from Anxiety
Our attorneys have helped many clients get the treatment they need for accident-related anxiety. We have found that those with anxiety related to car accidents may benefit from:
Mayo Clinic lists psychotherapy as one of the two primary treatments for anxiety (along with medication). The clinic specifically notes cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which it explains is:
- The most effective type of therapy for those suffering from anxiety disorders
- A short-term treatment
- A way to teach the patient repeatable skills aimed specifically at neutralizing feelings of anxiety
- A method that may gradually allow the patient to resume activities that contribute to anxiety, such as riding in motor vehicles
Exposure therapy is a common feature of CBT. This therapy calls for the patient to face specific circumstances that cause them anxiety. If exposure therapy is successful, feelings of anxiety will become less and less acute the more the car accident victim exposes themselves to anxiety-inducing circumstances.
Cleveland Clinic explains that medications can help symptoms of anxiety, with useful medications including the following:
- Beta-blockers, which are typically prescribed for high blood pressure, may also help with the physical symptoms of anxiety.
- Anti-anxiety medications may be an effective short-term treatment for anxiety in combination with exposure therapy and other sustainable treatments.
- Antidepressants may also help with long-term psychological issues, as well.
Your personal medical history may be an important consideration in whether you use medication to treat accident-related anxiety. Fortunately, medications are one of several potential ways to alleviate anxiety symptoms.
Being With Friends and Family
While a doctor may not prescribe it, those with anxiety may benefit from being around those they enjoy being around. Friends and family may share their own experiences with motor vehicle accidents, anxiety, and how they overcame post-accident distress.
Mayo Clinic notes that exercising produces endorphins that may ease anxiety symptoms. The measurable psychological and physical benefits of exercise may elevate your mood while diminishing anxiety.
Resting and Recovering (While Avoiding Unnecessary Stress)
Your mental and physical recovery should be the priority after your Florida car accident accident lawyer. While avoiding stress may not cure your anxiety, exposing yourself to avoidable stress could make your anxiety worse.
Refer to your mental health professional of choice for specific advice about overcoming accident-related anxiety.
Is Anxiety a Common Outcome of Car Accidents?
Many car accident victims experience anxiety and other types of psychological and emotional hardship following their collisions.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Social disengagement
- Major depressive disorder (MDD)
Furthermore, injuries that cause scarring or other disfigurement may contribute to anxiety, low self-esteem, and other psychological issues. Some of these psychological issues can have lasting negative effects on a victim’s life. For example, they may lose their job if they cannot cope with their anxiety.
An Attorney Will Seek Compensation to Cover Anxiety Treatment and Other Accident-Related Damages
It is critical that you get all the necessary treatment for accident-related anxiety, but treatment can be expensive. A personal injury lawyer can help hold liable parties accountable for your treatment, which may require filing a lawsuit on your behalf.
An attorney will manage every aspect of your case, including:
- Securing evidence of negligence by those responsible for your accident
- Documenting your damages
- Calculating the cost of your accident-related damages, including all treatment for anxiety
- Leading settlement negotiations for you
- Taking your case to trial, if necessary
Our team will complete paperwork, handle communications, and oversee every other detail of your claim or lawsuit. In addition to treatment costs, we will seek compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering (including anxiety)
- Lost income
- Diminished earning power
- Vehicle damage (repairs or replacement of a totaled vehicle)
- Damage to other property
Our firm intends to secure all the compensation you deserve. We won’t be satisfied with any other outcome.
Call the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato if You Are Coping With Anxiety After a Car Accident
Our attorneys help car accident victims get the compensation they deserve. We have represented other clients suffering from accident-related anxiety. Our team will work with medical professionals to understand your condition and calculate the cost of necessary treatment.