Can a Car Accident Lawyer Assist with Emotional and Psychological Damages?
If you suffered emotional, psychological, financial, and/or physical damages in a car accident, a car accident lawyer can help you file a case. They can take legal action for your emotional recovery and:
- Help you list your damages
- Determine the financial worth of your injuries
- Find the liable party and ask them to pay you for emotional damages caused by their negligent behavior
What Are Emotional Damages and Psychological Damages?
Emotional and psychological damages fall under the umbrella of “non-economic damages.” This term describes any loss affecting your mind or body rather than your finances or personal property.
Examples of Psychological Car Accident Damages
A motor vehicle accident can affect your mental health in many ways. A fort lauderdale car accident lawyer can help with identifying emotional and psychological damages, such as:
- A lingering sense of fear or anxiety
- The development of a mental health disorder (e.g., generalized anxiety disorder, depressive disorders)
- The worsening of a preexisting condition
- Changes in mood or mood swings
- Inability to enjoy favorite activities or time with loved ones
Economic Damages Stemming From Emotional Damages
If your psychological distress is serious, mental health issues could affect other parts of your everyday life. You could sue for:
- Medical expenses
- The cost of counseling support after a car accident
- Loss of income due to inability to work
- Loss of employment due to ongoing mental (or physical) symptoms
How Do You Recover Damages for Emotional Distress?
You can file a lawsuit against the at-fault party for financial compensation for everything you lost due to the collision, including emotional harm, physical injuries, and financial hardship. Filing a lawsuit includes:
- Building a case file proving emotional anguish
- Asking the liable party’s insurer to pay your damages
- Negotiating a fair settlement or taking your case to court as necessary
- Filing and completing paperwork to resolve your case and recover your money
A Car Accident Attorney Can Help Your Case
Receiving legal assistance can be a big relief to you after a crash causes physical and emotional injuries. A personal injury law firm can manage all your case’s legal tasks and ensure others treat your case fairly. For instance:
- If there is any room for doubt as to the liable party’s identity, a fort lauderdale personal injury lawyer handling car accidents can find evidence establishing their identity and how their negligence caused your crash.
- Your auto accident attorney will know which legal formulas and calculations to use when determining how much you can sue for after the car accident.
- You can work with your lawyer to list your damages, including all emotional losses. They can let you know about compensatory damages that you may be unfamiliar with.
- If the insurer tries to deny or undervalue your monetary compensation claim, your lawyer can present evidence that proves you have asked for a fair amount.
Car Accident Lawsuits Are Only Valid for a Limited Time
A car accident attorney can only help you seek recovery for your financial losses if you contact them within your state’s statute of limitations.
To illustrate this point, consider Florida, where Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(a) sets this limit at two years. The court will likely reject any cases plaintiffs file after that date. You should speak to a lawyer as soon as you can to protect your rights within the time limits.
Psychological Recovery After a Car Accident
If you have suffered injuries because of a negligent driver, one of the first things you should do is to talk to a lawyer to protect yourself legally after a car accident. Even before that, however, you should find a mental health professional to:
- Help you manage emotional trauma, overwhelming anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and other conditions
- Provide an official diagnosis of your condition if applicable
- Establish a record of your mental health treatment that your lawyer can use in your case
Car Accidents Affect Everyone Differently
Everyone reacts to psychological trauma, but two people who survived the same accident may have different responses based on their personalities, life experiences, support levels, and access to mental healthcare.
You should never feel bad about your reaction to a car crash. Suppressing or ignoring emotional trauma or mental anguish can only make you feel worse. Instead, accept that this is your mind’s response to trauma and take whatever steps to start feeling better.
Finding Help for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident
There are many ways to help yourself heal after an upsetting event like a car crash. The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) suggests people do the following after experiencing after a traumatic event:
- Identify loved ones who can help you cope
- Stick to a familiar and reassuring routine
- Ask your healthcare provider to recommend a mental health specialist
- Be patient with yourself: recovery will not happen overnight, and that is OK
Get Financial Compensation for Your Emotional Damages After a Car Accident
At the Law Offices of Wolf & Pravato, we know car accidents can rob you of more than property and money—they can undermine your physical, emotional, and psychological health. Call (954) 633-8270 today to learn how our Miami car accident lawyer can seek an accident settlement you deserve for the emotional suffering and economic losses you experienced.